Monday, October 22, 2007

A Monday morning potpourri


The professor arrived home last night after being in California for 8 days, that's over a week, but who's counting -- certainly not me! He came bearing Dunkin' Donuts because good donuts are not to be found in our little town and oh how the boys do love them. I dropped Boo off at school this morning very sugared up.

Everyone is happier now that the professor is home. I do believe the boys were starting to wonder if we would ever see him again. I know I felt that way a few times!

I am thrilled to have my camera the camera that I have adopted as mine back in my hands -- it went to California along with my husband. A week's hiatus from snapping photos has left me with bunches of ideas and inspirations to capture and share. I've been scribbling notes to myself on scraps of paper all week.

**********
Pictured above is the watercolor painting of a scene in Venice that we bought while visiting there earlier this year during our time in Northern Italy. It was painted by a Spanish artist, Antonio Garcia Lopez Rosant, who enjoys participating in and has won quick painting competitions. His geometrical, simplistic style of painting, and the earthy color palette are beautiful. Apparently the neat and definite strokes that he uses are really unusual for watercolor painting. This summer we had it framed and hung it in our foyer. I do love looking at it!

**********
And, since I've just completed a week of very simple cooking I thought I would post this very easy recipe. So, in honor of Tukes, because this is his favorite meal, and thanks to Amy at Amy's Humble Musings for the recipe, Easy Chicken and Rice. Folks, it doesn't get much more basic than this!

Place 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen or thawed) into a greased crockpot. Give the chicken a drizzle of olive oil and a good sprinkling of seasoned salt, I like Goya's Adobo All Purpose Seasoning. Toss in some wedges of onion and add 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. Cook on High for 2-3 hours, until juices run clear. About 30-45 minutes before dinner pour off almost all the liquid then shred the meat. Give it a generous drizzle, or two or three, of olive oil and a few good shakes of seasoned salt. Stir and turn the heat down to Low until you're ready to eat. Cook some rice then serve the chicken on top with some veggies or fruit on the side.

Come back tomorrow for another grocery shopping update!