Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My grocery shopping challenge, Week 2


To read more about my personal grocery shopping challenge for the month of October and to read about Week 1, start here.

Week 2 Shopping Trip
Spent:
- $45.35 at the grocery store
- $11.43 at CVS on several sale items -- diapers, shaving gel, dish detergent
- $56.78 was my grand total for Week 2 -- over budget (again!) but I'm still spending less than normal
- total spent so far this month -- $109.88


My best shopping deals:
- 2 bags of brown rice for $.50 each
- 2 boxes of Cheez-its for $1.00 each (I'll save these for the next time Boo has to provide snacks for his class at school.)
- 2 packages of Butterball cold cuts for $.70 each
- 2 rolls of paper towels for $.38 each

What I've learned so far:
- That I'll most certainly spend less on groceries this month, although I will probably spend more than my target range of $175-200.
- That I'm less likely to be tempted by impulse purchases if I'm paying with cash.
- How to make granola for a fraction of the price of store bought granola.
- How to make condensed cream of chicken soup from ingredients I already have on hand.

*photo caption -- squash and zucchini that were on sale of $1.00/pound