Thursday, November 8, 2007

Limited perception


The other night Boo reported with a glow in his eyes and awe in his voice, "Lauren is not at school this week because she's spending a WHOLE WEEK at Disney World. Wouldn't that be fun?!"

The professor asked, "What is Disney World?"

Boo replied, "It's where Mickey Mouse is."

I asked, "What do you do at Disney World."

Boo answered, matter-of-factly, "You play with Mickey Mouse."

I then asked, "What kinds of things do you play with Mickey Mouse?"

He answered, "You play games and ball with him."

Much like my five-year-old has a limited perception of Disney World, so is my understanding of God's eternal kingdom. In my mind and heart I know that it will be wonderful place; a permanent home free of sin, pain, and sadness. I long to be there some day, to be united with my Savior, to see Him face to face. But, until I experience it there is no way for me to comprehend its wonder, its beauty, and its perfection.

All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:13-16
*emphasis mine

*photo caption -- A butterfly enjoying a sunny, autumn morning on my daisies.