Monday, May 19, 2008

Baby Gift


My friend Katie just had a sweet baby girl -- her second little pink bundle in three years. I haven't seen my friend in as many years but I want to send a gift. Embroidered burp cloths trimmed with ribbon will do nicely.


For the happy mama and for baby Maggie, soft yellow and pink...


...and some cheery brightness.


Big sister Julia needs one too, for helping with baby sister and for comforting fretful doll-babies. I'm quite certain that the happy llama and "terrific" pig will be friendly playtime companions for both girls!

********
I make these burp cloths for approximately $1.60 each. A gift of three is less than $5.00 -- not bad!

I buy a pack of 12 Gerber Premium 6-Ply Cloth Diapers for $16.00 -- that's $1.33/diaper.

Stock-up on pretty ribbon when it's discounted. Hobby Lobby sells 30 yards of ribbon in bags for $1.99 (10 strips, each strip is a different color and is 3 yards long). Target has recently had packs of six spools of ribbon for $1.00, each spool has 18 inches of ribbon.

The embroidery floss costs pennies. The iron-on adhesive for attaching the ribbon to the cloth diapers costs 13 cents/18-inch length, which is slightly longer than you need for each length of ribbon that you add to your burp cloths.