Monday, May 12, 2008

Gifts in a pinch

I'll confess, Mother's Day came upon me rather unexpectedly this year. I looked at the calendar and suddenly it was just days away... and I was left scrambling to pull together some goodies.

In our family there are seven birthdays in April; by the time early May rolls around our gift budget is sapped. Most years I prepare in advance for this, but this year I didn't do that so well.

Oh, what to do with little time and little money?

A potted hydrangea that I found on sale at Kroger worked nicely for my mother-in-law, who is known as Khaki to the boys. She has a green thumb and loves delicate blooms. I simply replaced the horrid florist's paper that was wrapped around the plastic pot with a bright, new kitchen towel that I already had on hand.

A bow tied with a strip of white velvet ribbon pulled it all together.

And for my mother, Bunny, I needed something that could be mailed easily. A cute little butter spreader that I found downtown, at the hardware store of all places, was perfect!

To complete the gift I embroidered a linen hand towel (that I already had on hand) with her initial, adding a strip of blue satin ribbon for a splash of color.

Everything turned out lovely despite my poor planning. Yes, for less than $25 it was a delightfully blue and white Mother's Day!