Thursday, June 5, 2008

Coke float, take me away


In the interest of keeping it real, exceedingly real, around here, let me tell you about my messy morning week... it involves raw sewage so consider yourself warned...

It all started about a week ago; our air conditioner stopped cooling and started leaking water. A repairman diagnosed the problem -- a slow freon leak -- and temporarily fixed it. We should be able to limp along for a few weeks or months this summer before having to permanently repair the coil... to the tune of $1250.

If you've ever been in the Deep South in the summertime you know that this is not the time of year to have a cranky cooling system. So, we're strategizing on how and when to make the repair while waiting for the system to start blowing black smoke again (so to speak).

Exactly two days after the air conditioning fiasco the sewer line backed up. A plumber was called who quickly arrived and had the pipes flowing freely once more. Things were looking up, but only three days later the sewer line backed up again, this time flooding the hall bathroom with a small amount of water. The plumber returned and once more got our pipes flowing. Well... it happened again this morning... the sewer line backed up, this time flooding the hall bathroom with a large amount of raw sewage.

Yes, friends, most of my morning was spent interacting with the plumber (again) and cleaning up an awful, awful mess. The professor, who typically is a champion for handling such scenarios, was on campus without an immediate way to get home (remember, for now we are a one-car family) and he had a class to teach. So the boys and I went out to the workshop where Boo showed me the wet/dry vac and together we figured out how to vacuum up standing water... and a bunch of other nasty stuff.

While all of this was going on Tukes screamed. Screamed. Then the insistent car salesman, whom I nicely asked to call my husband, phoned me trying to sell us a car. Needless to say I was not interested... I was, afterall, up to my elbows in sewage. "You'll have to call my husband," I firmly told him while the toddler screamed in the background.

The storm has passed now (I hope), the bathrooms have been disinfected, Tukes is napping, Boo is having room time. While this past week has held a lot of messy, messy craziness, and yes, it has been hard, I've realized I cannot say that it has been a bad week. In the midst of all the yuckiness we've had some beautiful times...
  • a 24-hour getaway with my husband that included a trip to Ikea and dining out
  • reading James and the Giant Peach with Boo
  • listening to Tukes say new words and phrases
  • two delightful thrift store finds, one of the mod variety, that I can't wait to show you
  • an evening stroll
  • an impromptu lunch out with the professor yesterday
  • watering my plants
So even with the hard, messy stuff going on God's graces and blessings abound. There are messes, lots of them, but I am indeed enjoying a beautiful life.

Now let's get back to enjoying the finer things, such as our morning berries and my half-finished embroidery project. On this hot afternoon I believe I'll have a Coke float... in a tall glass... with a straw and a long spoon. Will you join me?