Tuesday, September 2, 2008

No-Sew Pillowcase Aprons

I was in love the moment I spotted that loan pillow sham in the thrift store. I loved its crisp cotton fabric and the simple black stitching. Despite the fact that I can't sew a straight seam to save my life I determined to take it home and make it into something that I would love. One dollar spent from my wallet and I was on my way, and that is how my pillow sham apron was born.

Using my trusty iron-on adhesive I trimmed it with 2 yards of hot pink grosgrain ribbon. The sham is wide enough to fit around my waist so I added a snap in the back to hold it on more securely.



And didn't it turn out cute?! It was so easy and fun to make that I got to thinking, "Couldn't I do the same with a regular pillowcase?" So I pulled out one of my strawberry pillowcases, the ones I've had since I was a little girl, and I added ribbon for a sash. Oh, I liked it too!

When I finished my mini-projects I donned my new black, white, and pink apron and very nearly skipped through the house feeling energetic, productive, and quite pleased with myself. Then... I stopped flitting long enough to google "pillowcase apron" and I discovered that there are people out there, people who can actually sew, making cute, cute, cute aprons out of vintage pillowcases. Oh, I'm in love all over again. I must learn how to make these. I must learn how to sew.


So... I'm issuing an open invitation to anyone who wants to recommend a good and affordable beginner's sewing machine. {Ahem, keep in mind that you might need to come to my house to teach me how to use it.} Maybe I'll be able to make you a real apron one day.

I'm off to look for vintage pillowcases. Happy sewing everyone, or, in my case, ironing-on!

{Photo credit goes to the professor for the shot of me, in apron glory, preparing lunch in the kitchen.}