Monday, September 29, 2008

Toaster

Am I crazy for having a sentimental attachment to something as ordinary and mundane as a toaster? {Perhaps not. Considering the sleek style and presence of the toaster I believe my sentiment has good taste.}

This chrome-plated, vintage, Proctor pop-up toaster was my grandparents'. My grandmother kept it on a little side table in the corner of her dining room -- within easy reach for making fresh, warm toast slathered in butter while seated at the table.

I sat at my grandparents' table often when I was growing up... the toaster was always there, always toasting the best toast.

When my grandmother downsized a few months before Boo was born she gave me two items from her house that I had always loved, her rocking chair and her toaster. I've rocked both of my babies in her chair and now I make their breakfasts with her toaster. I know that would make her smile.

Midcentury Proctor pop-up toaster
Chrome-plated