Monday, January 12, 2009

Growing Pains

Tukes and I have a little after lunch routine; while I tidy the kitchen he is on a mission to pick out books. Then, we crawl up on his big bed and read together before I tuck him in for his nap.

At first he romps around {see above}, eager to convince me that he doesn't need to rest. We both know differently. I open a book, he settles down and cuddles next to me, and we read.

These are sweet moments... I look forward to them every day. While we read and talk I study him. I listen to his little voice, I savor his smell, I try to memorize his big, blue eyes and, oh my, those long, dark lashes. I delight in the curve of his little ski-jump nose, I giggle when he giggles, his rosy lips make me smile.

After we read I tuck him under the covers. "Time to play?" he asks me. I respond, "I'll come and get you when it's time to play. Go to sleep now. I love you."

This business of turning three in a few weeks is taking me on a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride. If I told you that I haven't shed a tear {or two} over it, well, I would be lying. The other day he informed me, "Me not a baby. Me a boy." I know, Little One, I know.

He has reached that tender, transforming age... During this year I expect that he'll give up his nap, his chubby legs will get longer and skinnier, his round cheeks won't stay so round. Each precious day that passes I see a bit of my sweet baby slipping away. And, while he is turning into a delightful little boy... I confess, I am going to miss this little toddler that cuddles up next to me at rest time.