Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Simply Living Simply



This morning dawned fresh and clean, sparkling and beautiful. I know because I was up before first light and I watched the early, eastern sunlight pour over last night's sewing mess that was carelessly left on the dining room table.

The professor was able to pedal to campus after breakfast. There is no "spring break" for a fresh, young professor who is trying to stay on top of his game. When classes are not in session his time is more valuable. So, we stay close to home this week to cheer him through part of what is, without a doubt, his toughest semester ever.


I know that other folks have dashed off to sugary, white beaches and powdery ski slopes, Disney World and cruises. And, yes, I'll agree that vacations are fun and wonderful! But, I've been thinking...

If I can instill in my children a love for simple things and simple times... fun in a mud puddle and neighborhood bike rides, chasing lizards and contentment with a stack of library books... and, if I can show them how to enjoy and value being at home, I believe I will have accomplished something that is, in short, simply wonderful.