Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Things for Blackberry Winter



Today I wore my favorite wool sweater and my red corduroy pants. Last night the temperature dipped down to freezing, I'm told that it will tonight as well. Most folks say that we're having a cold snap... my mother-in-law calls it blackberry winter, a freeze occurring in early spring after the blackberry bushes have bloomed.


It seems my photographing has vastly outpaced my blog posting recently. On this chilly evening during blackberry winter, I invite you to cozy-up with these colorful quilt squares of spring things.


And, because you asked... Lemon-Berry Trifle

{Be forewarned, my trifle-making methods and madness are, perhaps, the most unauthentic, thrown together, fly by the seat of your pants, do it in a pinch methods that you'll ever encounter. But, trifle is easy and forgiving... and it's a spring thing!}

In a large glass bowl layer:
~ lemon pound cake, cubed
~ lemon pudding or pie filling {I used instant}
~ dabs of lemon curd or berry preserves to make it special
~ liven things up with fresh berries... the more, the merrier
~ give it some fluff with a layer of whipped cream

Repeat layers.
Then eat.
The end.