Saturday, June 20, 2009

Week's Ending



The endless cycle of idea and action,
Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word...
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
T. S. Eliot, Choruses From The Rock

I read these lines earlier this week, quoted in another book that I'm reading, and they've been on my mind and in my heart ever since. Don't they poignantly describe our modern society? As I've mulled them over I've looked at my own life... Is the way I'm living an "endless cycle of idea and action"? Where and when am I striving after the wind?

My prayer is that my life and my heart will be characterized by purposeful actions that are Kingdom-building, that my knowledge will be of the Word, and that I will seek out and value stillness and silence... I'm realizing that a life of endless motion and meaningless words is far too easily lived.


I haven't mentioned my mother's recent illness lately, but the reality is that her present circumstances are a very big and a very real part of our life. She underwent minor surgery this week in preparation for treatments that will begin next week. These treatments will largely dictate her life for the next six months. She continues to face her trial with astounding grace and joy. Our family knows that God holds her in the palm of His hand, that she is in the midst of His decrees.

From the Westminster Shorter Catechism...
What are the decrees of God?
The decrees of God are His eternal purpose according to the counsel of His will whereby He has foreordained whatsoever comes to pass.


I believe this. And, I am confident that what He allows, He will use for our good and His glory.


Now, here is our week... in all of its motion {there's been a lot of that lately!} and stillness. My cup overflows!

Kitchen renovations are underway. Oh the noise, oh the dust, but I love seeing evidence of progress. The kitchen walls are torn down to the studs {goodbye paneling!} while cabinets stand empty and doorless waiting to be painted, dishes and pantry goods are strewn through other rooms of the house... things are messy but good.

My hard working husband continues to amaze me with his enthusiasm... he does, after all, have a day job, too. Just look at him go.


The professor's sister breezed into town this week to help Khaki, my mother-in-law, clean out closets. The fruits of their labor produced a stack of vintage pillowcases, each one uniquely detailed with beautiful handwork. {Swoon!} Because they know that I'll try to make anything out of a pillowcase I've inherited them. Time to pull out the sewing machine.


Highlights...
A birthday party attended {and photographed}.
Successes at swimming lessons.
A large family gathering to celebrate Father's Day {early}.
Rain to resurrect my withering mint.
Mint lemonade.
A baby seat installed on my bike.

Lowlights...
Daily heat indexes of 98!
Drama at swimming lessons.
A large family gathering in my trashed kitchen.
Rain to breed more mosquitoes than you can believe.
Mint lemonade all over my kitchen floor.
Boys asking for daily bike rides in 98-degree heat.


In the afternoons we retreat indoors to escape the heat. Boo and I started reading The Long Winter this week {oh, the irony, it is not lost on me!}. The "Laura and Mary books" {as he calls them} have been so delightfully engaging for us, I wonder if we, together, will ever enjoy another series of books as much.

The boys and I spent an afternoon making the cutest little fruit-filled pies when Boo decided one day that he wanted to make tarts. Flour everywhere!

Tukes and I quite literally had to duke it out on the pool deck three mornings in a row over swimming lessons, but on Thursday something clicked and now he is doing great. His little laid-back-self possesses an uncharacteristic stubborn streak when it comes to making changes and trying something new. I am learning to force his hand when needed.

The professor is anxious to start banging on this Saturday morning and I've got two little boys to occupy. They are always eager to hinder help. Have a wonderful weekend!