Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back-to-School Rainbow Play



Last week the children and I hosted a back-to-school play gathering to renew old friendships and make new ones. My budget for the "party" was $0.00... Here's how we created a fun and colorful morning without spending a dime.

Every August I stock-up on Crayola crayons when Kroger puts them on sale for 25-cents a box. Using a few boxes from my stockpile, I placed small jelly jars filled with fresh crayons along with a big stack of drawing paper on the dining room table. The children helped themselves throughout the morning {and even created their own treasure hunt}.


Each mother brought a kid-friendly or mom-friendly snack to share. I provided drinks {water, lemonade, and iced tea}, painted cookies, and kettle corn, all of which were prepared from ingredients that I had on hand. I dug the plates, cups, and napkins from my cabinets. We had more than enough food!


I strategically placed group-oriented toys throughout the house and backyard... Outdoor toys next to the swingset, the Quadrilla marble railway in the living room...


Legos in the office, and, of course, the art supplies in the dining room. The children also enjoyed playing in the boys' room where Hot Wheels cars and Automoblox were in ample supply.


Everyone {all 13 of us!} had a fun and fantastic morning... including the mothers, who were actually able to sit down and chat!