Monday, October 15, 2012

This and That



Well, hello. Somewhere between soccer games, settling into the new house, endless laundry, dinner preparations, homework, and a mischeivious two year old, the daily rhythm of this blog has been interrupted with life... which isn't a bad thing!

On Saturday morning we bicycled to the art museum for a birthday party of sorts; nine years of having this beautiful place in our community. The morning was breezy and cool and golden; a perfect October day. There were art activities for the kids, the gallery was open for browsing, and there was an abundance of cupcakes; we came home sugared up and toting new masterpieces in paint stained fingers. It was a delightful outing, although Sister did swipe an extra cupcake.


Speaking of birthday parties, I'm always looking for cute and inexpensive birthday party gift ideas that encourage creativity. I spotted this Friendship Bracelet Kit idea ages ago and knew it would be perfect for a ten year old girl. I assembled this kit for $7.00 and am thrilled to know that I can do it for $4.50 if I package the thread in a clear cellophane bag rather than in a box. The birthday girl loved it!


The professor made our first official improvement to the house... a new exterior light fixture to suit the mid century architecture. It's a very small first step on a long journey, but exciting nonetheless.


On the eve of my birthday last week we had a family fondue dinner party. Quite appropriate for the first birthday celebrated in the boogie house, wouldn't you say?! It was so much fun! Best Fondue was a great resource for tips and recipes because we were rather clueless.


And now, I'll finish with dessert. The professor ordered a lavish lemon-vanilla cake for my birthday. Somehow, somewhere he tracked down a British lady in town who bakes the most divine cakes. Without a doubt, this was the most amazing cake experience I have ever had.

Did you know that benediction means "good words"? These are the good words we received at worship on Sunday after a wonderful sermon on the peace we can have in Christ during painful times. These verses made my soul sing because I was reminded that He knows my trials and has allowed them, and He will give me the grace to endure and grow... From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen. Galatians 6:17-18