Monday, February 11, 2013

Lenten Feast



While many are preparing to fast during Lent, my friend Laura challenged me to embrace the forty days as a time for feasting... feasting on the Word of God. Each year during Lent she reads the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation. This is what she wrote about the experience:
One thing that amazed me... was how once I'd begun reading I didn't want to stop. Reading the Word was both comforting and exciting at the same time. And history and prophecy were both more startling and clear at a gallop than they were at my usual walking pace of annual Bible-reading. Jesus Christ said, "It is written 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'" (Matthew 4:4) Reading through the Bible each year is daily bread, but this Lenten reading is a feast!
The last time I read through the Bible it took me fifteen months to complete a twelve month reading plan. The idea of reading it start to finish in forty days overwhelms me. I imagine the experience is a bit like drinking from a fire hydrant, but I can't think of a better way to become saturated with the truth. I know I won't do it perfectly, but because of His grace and by His grace I'm preparing for forty days of feasting in the Word. Perhaps you'll consider joining me...


The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. 
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.
The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.
Psalm 19:7-9