Saturday, November 16, 2013

So Great a Nearness



My fifth nephew made his entrance into the world this week. And we were aflutter with smiles and excitement. And now, we have another to love. In addition to life's regular rhythm we added hospital visits and extra baking, special errands and newborn cuddles to our activities. This is our first local nephew/cousin and we're enjoying the nearness. A sweet week indeed!

While I made cinnamon muffins to deliver to the new family of three, Sister sat in the kitchen and drew a picture for me. It's title, she informed me, is, "Lollipops in Rain" which sounds perfectly lovely to me. I thought of her bright lollipops in the rain this morning when I awoke to fog. The autumn leaves, so colorful and bright against the wet, gray, Novembery canvas of our street.

We scurried around today with grocery shopping and errands. And, there was dinner to deliver to babyland. I crammed clementines into a brown paper sack, tied it with ribbon, and nestled it among our 
other goodies. Clementines on a damp fall day, with their sunny taste and smell, make me happy.

And, these words from Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon made my heart smile, like Sister's lollipops. I'm reminded that no matter the circumstances His nearness is great and intimate...

"Here, indeed, we have a theme for marveling. Heaven and earth may well be astonished that rebels should obtain so great a nearness to the heart of infinite love as to be written upon the palms of His hands. "I have graven thee." It does not say, "Thy name." The name is there, but that is not all: "I have graven thee." See the fulness of this! I have graven thy person, thine image, thy case, thy circumstances, thy sins, thy temptations, thy weaknesses, thy wants, thy works; I have graven thee, everything about thee, all that concerns thee; I have put thee altogether there. Wilt thou ever say again that thy God hath forsaken thee when He has graven thee upon His own palms."

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands. 
Isaiah 49:16