Monday, April 21, 2008

Weekending at home

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort."
~Jane Austen



We thought that we might venture out of town this past weekend. The professor had found some cars of interest so I spent Friday afternoon making phone calls. A sustitute to teach Sunday school... check; the welcoming voice of mother on the phone beckoning us to come despite the late notice... check. But then, I called the professor -- right in the middle of his class -- and told him, "I'm tired. I want to stay at home." He heartily agreed, and so home we stayed.


Wouldn't you agree? Staying at home on a beautiful Spring weekend is far more pleasant than traveling about the state in the old Rattlebang shopping for a new car. And, oh it was pleasant and comfortable and refreshing.


I planted tomatoes and basil, with the hopes of being able to make a mean pizza margherita this summer, and I repotted an orchid. The professor hung a new glass hummingbird feeder -- hopefully we'll have some ruby throats in a month or so -- and rooted camellia clippings. We played football and sang Johnny Cash songs (surely I'm not the only one who wishes she could belt out "Jackson" like June Carter Cash!). I surrounded myself with pretty bits of ribbon from a two-dollar grab bag while I plotted and planned future embroidery projects.


A trip to the barber shop left Boo sporting his summer haircut -- a "tough guy haircut" is what he calls it. He tells me that tough guys wear camouflage.


Tukes found an old shower head to play with (really, where does he find this stuff?) and practiced riding his trike. He marked up the drive with chalk -- "Da 'A'!" he said every time he drew a line.

And, what delight, I was able to pay a visit to my favorite antique booth where I found several items that I can't wait to show you. One of them, I believe, will make a nice giveaway prize. Shall we do another giveaway soon? Yes, I'm thinking a May Day Giveaway perhaps... stay tuned for details.


We came no closer to buying a car this weekend but the comfort of being at home was far better. A car can be bought anytime but beautiful, golden Spring weekends only last for a short time and should not be wasted.