Monday, September 17, 2007

Beauty in the dining room


Underwood No.5 Typewriter, the most sucessful typwriter in history.
Designed by Franz Wagner and debuted shortly before 1900.
The professor picked this one up at a junk sale somewhere along the way.


In the foreground, happy sunflowers that the professor gave me this past weekend.

In the background, my great grandmother's old pine piesafe.

When I was in elementary school my dad and I stripped that old piesafe and painted it white. My dad also moved the hammered tin that was in the upper doors to the lower doors and then he made new upper doors with glass in them. This piece was in my bedroom until I married; I use it as a china cabinet now. It sits just a few feet away from our steel and glass dining table providing a sharp, but very nice, contrast.


A closer look at the hammered tin.