Monday, September 10, 2007

A (partially) homemade gift


After spending 3 weeks at one school we are moving Boo to a new kindergarten class at a new school. For the past few weeks Boo's teacher, Mrs. W, has been wonderful -- caring and sensitive and helpful. We are truly grateful to her. Today will be his last day before going to his new school so I wanted to give Mrs. W a small gift showing her how much we appreciate her short yet influential role in the life of our son.

Inspiration for this gift came one evening a few nights ago as Boo and I were reading Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. As the story concluded I thought, wouldn't that make a cute gift when I read this:
"But Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper."

So I have put together a little bag of goodies for Mrs. W -- tea, blackberry preserves, an embroidered kitchen towel, and a loaf of homemade bread. I wrote the Potter quote on our note to her. I think the gift came together quite nicely. I hope she enjoys her treats as much as I enjoyed preparing them.


The embroidered towel is my first embroidery project to give away. The professor and I scrolled through his collection of fonts looking for exactly the right typography. Because the towel has a linear pattern I wanted a graceful, yet simple, script. After making my selection we sketched it on the towel in washable ink, then I used the sketch as my pattern for stitching. Washing and pressing it completed the project and I am excited to say that I'm very pleased with how it turned out!