Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter thoughts

Just as we have borne the image of the earthly,
we will also bear the image of the heavenly.

I Corinthians 15:49

This is a wonderful day. The more we think of it, the more wonderful it is. But somehow I keep going back to what led up to this day of joy. The true triumph of love was not on Easter morning; it was won on the cross when the Lord said, It is finished.

The choir sang 'The suffering night is over' to me. Ever since, the lines

Forgive me, Lord, if I
My small griefs magnify

have been in my heart. I do pray that I may not magnify my small griefs. Don't magnify yours. They will be so soon over, it is not worth while. Also if we do so, they lose their power to perfect us. When we accept them as His good, lovable and perfect will, then, I believe they work together to make us more usable to our beloved Lord. And isn't that all that matters?

Bodies are curious things. My favourite word came in my reading today. 'As we have borne... we shall also bear'
(I Corinthians 15.49). We certainly have borne the image of the earthly; there isn't any doubt about that. And as certain as that is, so certain is the wonderful truth whose meaning we cannot fully understand: we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

That's something to look forward to!

"Easter Day" from Candles in the dark
Letters written by Amy Carmichael

I'll see y'all on Monday. May each of you experience joy complete as you praise and worship the One who has conquered sin and death on behalf of sinners, such as I.