Monday, March 24, 2008

The little things

I expect that I'll be in the minority when I tell you that I prefer a pedestal sink in my bathroom to a long stretch of counter space. Yes, the counter is quite nice for spreading out, but, oh dear, mine is such a convenient spot for accumulating all manner of dust and clutter. Horizontal surfaces are nice but they are hard to keep tidy and under control!


And so has been the problem in our master bathroom -- such a jumble of toiletries, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and tub toys. Very unsightly! I tried organizing everything in a nice natural basket but, alas, it did not work; nothing seemed to find it's way back into the basket!


Then I spotted this idea on Apartment Therapy a while back and I thought, "If I could have a nice tray with pretty containers and bottles neatly arranged on it I would be eager to banish bathroom counter clutter every day!" So I went digging in the depths of my cabinets -- free and repurposed is definitely better than new with a price tag! From my forgotten stash of assorted knick-knacks came a basic square, stoneware tray, two pretty china dishes, and a plain, old jelly jar.


The bathroom counter was wiped clean, nearly empty bottles were tossed, and new (concealed) homes were found for necessary but unsightly items. Now my uncluttered bathroom counter is home to this delightful ensemble -- all the little things neatly arranged, quite charmingly I believe.

Now, if could just find a vintage glass Listerine bottle with a cork for the mouthwash...