Monday, March 17, 2008

Protected

I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. Psalm 91:2, 4


I had thought that perhaps today we would talk about the vintage radio in our bookcase, or maybe would I share some recent around-the-house photos, or I'd tell you of the delight I found in dandelions a few days ago. Instead I will share with you all that today our family is praising and thanking God for His tender protection.


It is spring break. Boo is out of school, the professor does not have classes to teach. We decided to take a few days off, to visit my parents; we headed out on the two hour drive to their home yesterday after church and lunch. About thirty minutes away from their house, while stopped at a traffic light, we were hit, hard. A side, rear impact. An impact so hard we were pushed into the intersection and I truly thought we had encountered an explosion.

How thankful we are for our safety. Everyone involved in the accident walked away from it. The boys were quite excited to watch all of the emergency vehicles. I'm sporting a painful bump at the base of my skull and our car is rather crunched up -- a broken rear axle, bent frame, and jammed doors -- but we are together, safe, whole.


Today will be full of phone calls -- insurance agents, police reports, towing companies, body shops. We wonder, will the car be totaled? We're not sure, but it doesn't matter. A car is a small price to pay. And so, we will continue to thank the One who has been and is our refuge and our strength, who shelters us under the shadow of His wings.

Photo credits go to my dad who came to retrieve us.