Monday, December 29, 2008

Picture of Grace

My parents rented a big house on the brow of a windy bluff in the mountains. For a few days right after Christmas we filled its rambling rooms with talking, laughter, and the clamor {oh, the clamor!} of four little boys. We cooked and hiked and bicycled together... and stole some quiet, tender moments.

In the midst of the happy activity I reflected on how much our family has changed in a decade... ten years ago we were five, now we are twelve. My two sisters and I have added three husbands and four grandsons. {My dad is no longer the only man!}

As I pondered these changes and each family member I came to see us {collectively} as a picture of grace. Each person, each addition, is a gift and a blessing. Blessing added upon blessing... each one of them treasured, not one of them deserved.

{Photos: "After the Photo Shoot" by the professor.}