Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tiny Nativity

As a child I played with the porcelain nativity that sat by the Christmas tree in my grandparents' living room. For several years I've been wanting a sturdy and colorful nativity set that the boys could enjoy.

A few years ago some friends from Germany sent us a little garland of nativity figurines... each figure was carved from wood, brightly painted, and strung on a sturdy gold thread. Boo has always enjoyed hanging it on the little Christmas tree that we put in his room.

This year, when I pulled the garland from the box, the string broke. I could have easily restrung it, but the tiny figures seemed perfect for little hands at play.

{I'll bet you didn't know that Mary and Baby Jesus rode around Bethlehem on top of a delivery truck.}

It seems everyone has scheduled holiday activities for this week, the second week in December. Christmas concerts, parties, a gift exchange, a dessert reception... fun things, but I've been overwhelmed and scurrying about.

This morning Tukes played with the tiny nativity set while I, from a distance, sat and watched. It was a time out from lists, from going and doing... a few moments to reflect and enjoy.