Monday, February 23, 2009

Knitting Thoughts Together

Exactly one month and four days after starting my knitting journey {and after restarting the project at least a dozen times}, I completed my first little baby hat yesterday. Sadly, I did not get a photo of it before it joined the colorful company of many other itty bitty hats all boxed up, ready to be given to a local outreach.

I'll be honest... knitting has not come with the same joy and ease that I experienced with sewing. My fingers are so clumsy with the knitting needles, I can't seem to find a rhythm, and, oh dear, I am so tense -- knitting always seems to induce an achey back.

But, but, but... oh how I love the women who gather in our little once-a-month knitting group. We're such a varied mix of ages and personalities, situations and talents; we encourage one another and we laugh. Being a part of this group of amazing and creative women delights my heart and soul {despite my bumbling fingers}.

So, I will continue to plod along, little by little, with needles and yarn. I may never knit more than the same baby hat pattern over and over and over again, but I will use knitting as a tool to enjoy new friendships while deepening others, to reap creative inspiration, and to contribute {in a small way} to a local outreach. I am discovering that I can love knitting without actually loving to knit.

{I'm curious... is there anything in your own life that you pursue, not because you love it but because you love the relational, creative, or educational opportunities that it provides?}