Sunday, March 29, 2009

Unexpected Whimsy



I wished for sweet simplicity this weekend and got it... not in the way I envisioned but simple all the same. One can only resort to the simplest existence when fevers, chills, sniffles and, yes, even an episode of 1 a.m. vomiting plague the three men of the house. 

{Dare I boast of my own strong, healthy constitution? No, I must not... pride goes before the fall.} 

As I said, it was not the weekend that I imagined, but simplicity was required and thus simplicity was enjoyed.


My motley crew was in no shape for Sunday morning worship today. While the professor dozed and the boys sniffled their way through Lady and the Tramp, I sat on the floor and rifled through fabric and patterns while envisioning my nephews wearing blue and white seersucker. Yes, it is time to get started on that project!


And, as I contentedly sorted I happened to glance up and spot a wee ladybug, simply and sweetly sprinkled with black {aren't they all?}. She really must be modern at heart... from all of the books stored in the cubicles she chose an epic edition on Knoll furniture design. And, who could ignore the color scheme of it all... orange and red. Yes, she is a girl after my own heart. I smiled at the simple and unexpected whimsy of a ladybug enjoying a book.