Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Of Bread and Life



Regarding the practice of baking bread... Jane Brocket calls it "the stuff of life" which is an apt description, in my opinion. Over the years of bread making, I've learned that a tried and true recipe can be your best friend. When it comes to offering nourishment, comfort, love, hospitality, or thanks to others a simple loaf of fresh bread can say it all, and so much more.


It was a bit like disturbing a contented baby, but after some late night reading dear Jane convinced me to take a bit of a detour from my typical, habitual bread baking ways and venture down a new road. After all, new paths must be explored and even happy babies must be changed from time to time.


I momentarily set aside one good thing and, in turn, I discovered another good thing... a new friend, if you will. She's fancier and fussier than my low maintenance, tried and true friend, but delicious nonetheless. I'll keep her around and I'm sure our friendship will grow, but when it comes to the daily stuff of life I'll keep relying on the old friend who's been trusty through the years.

Loving folks and changing babies, making new friends but keeping the old... isn't that the stuff of life?! In the end, it's all silver and gold... and that is a very good thing indeed.