Monday, October 6, 2008

Paper Gift Pockets

It gave me great joy today to give my friend Susan some photo prints of her little girl... photos that I shot, rather spontaneously, a few weeks ago. Susan's daughter, Miss Brown Eyes, turned three today, the pictures seemed an appropriate "birth"-day gift for the loving mama.

On Saturday I had fun creating a cute paper pocket to hold the photos. To make it I used materials from around the house -- heavy drawing paper {ahem, yes, I helped myself to the professor's best sketch paper}, spray adhesive, ribbons, and buttons.

I wrapped the photos in parchment paper, tied them with a ribbon, and tucked them into the pocket. Nice presentation transformed a simple stack of photos into a meaningful little gift.

I was so pleased with the photo pocket that I made another, this one to hold the picture book that we gave to Miss Brown Eyes this morning while enjoying cupcakes in the park. She and Tukes are playmates so I let him "draw" on the pocket before I added my own embellishments. Once again, I wrapped the gift in parchment paper, tied it with a ribbon, and slid into the paper gift pocket. This is an easy, cute, and colorful way to give a picture book... or a stack of photos!


{As an aside, we gave Miss Brown Eyes a copy of Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall. I highly recommend this classic, award winning picture book for all young readers. The minimalist illustrations are delightful and colorful, the story exhibits resourceful, thrifty, and hardworking characters, and each page is full of New England charm.}