Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Bit of Winter Sprucing


Before :: After

The double bathroom debacle is far from being resolved. Yes, the professor has repaired and painted the rotten walls, Jorge and Jose gave us beautiful new tile, and I'm extremely thankful to have showers and toilets that work after thirteen days of driving .7 miles to my in-law's house... but there are still plumbing issues to navigate, vanities to build, and sinks to install. Of all the home renovation projects that we've taken on over the years this double bathroom renovation has been the most painful.

The renovation sprawl has slowly crept from our partially intact bathrooms filling empty corners and floor space in the master bedroom, coating every surface in the house with dust, and, finally, this weekend the sprawl took over the kitchen. Paint cans and brushes, crown molding and quarter round, saw horses and drop clothes, Christmas candy and school papers, toothbrushes and toiletries, and wet leaves all over the floor, you name it and, I assure you, it was there. Truly, my brain felt as cluttered and dusty as my kitchen counters.

"Go shine your sink!" Today I took the Fly Lady's words to heart. Today Mrs. Meyer and I took back the kitchen. We threw open the windows {hello, sunshine and 65 degrees!}, cleared the counters of everything, wiped away dust, crumbs, and paint splatters, and decluttered in the most significant way. Then I took vengeance on the floor. When the professor walked in this evening he commented, "The kitchen sure looks nice!" Yes, yes it does... and now I can think once again!