Monday, January 25, 2010

Gifts for Baby and Sister



It all started on Christmas Day when my mom toted a bag full of vintage table linens into my house. After the flurry of presents and food, when the Christmas afternoon lull came over the house, we sat on the floor and sorted through napkins, tablecloths, and placemats -- items that belonged to and were made by my grandmothers and great-grandmother.

My mother is one of the most resourceful people I know {one day I will show you the beautiful dresses that she made for my two sisters and me using fancy cotton slips, embroidered tea towels, and placemats!}. As we sorted the ideas started flowing... "Christian, wouldn't this napkin make a pretty collar... If you added ribbon here you'd have a pretty little bib... Oh look, you could make this napkin into a little bonnet, fold it just like a handkerchief bonnet."

We were both in need of some special baby gifts so on that afternoon we put our heads together and devised a plan. My mom and her ideas were the inspiration; I executed and embellished them.


Last week I visited one of my dearest childhood friends and delivered a napkin turned into a baby bonnet for her newborn baby girl {big sister was delighted with the crocheted placemat bonnet that I showed you few weeks ago}.


And for both sisters, napkins made into fancy bibs, I call them country club bibs because they're not at all practical although quite pretty for church, Sunday dinner, or fancy styled teething. If she wishes, my friend can easily convert the bibs to collars by removing the ribbon, folding them in half, cutting a slit up the back middle, as well as a neck hole, and adding binding.

For two beautiful girls who are precious gifts from God, items lovingly made from Bunny and me.