Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tiny Dresses I've Made



I've been sewing for a year and a half yet I still can't bring myself to buy fabric {unless it's an inexpensive remnant}. The wonderful thing about sewing for a baby or child is that so little fabric is required and a perfect fit isn't totally necessary... a beginner's dream.

Remember back in 1987 when everyone had to have a Laura Ashley dress? Well, I had one and my mom saved it. Twenty-three years later the dress was, of course, dated, but the fabric was still beautiful so I cut it up and made a dress for Baby Sister.


Baby has quite a stash of little day gowns and smocked dresses {many of which were mine... again, my mom saved them} but she needed some cool, summery, knit dresses. I used two retired jersey knit crib sheets and Rae's itty bitty baby dress pattern to create this sweet blue and white sundress.


I was so happy with the result that I repeated it, this time using a friend's old knit shirt that was on its way to the thrift store along with more of the retired blue crib sheet. I think Baby Sister will look as sweet and cool as an ice cream cone dressed in it this summer!

And, I've got plans for more because these simple little onesie dresses are too cute to ignore!