Monday, June 7, 2010

Sprinkled



Come peak into the nursery for a minute... I want to show you the beautiful wall hanging that the professor designed and made for Baby Sister's room. I love it. I really love it!

The inspiration for the overall look of the room, as well as for the wall panel, came directly from the colorful Cathedral Window quilt that his grandmother made for us shortly after we married.


Using four sheets of thin birch plywood, happy colors from the quilt, and the large CNC wood router at work, the professor repeated the quilt's pattern using layers of wood. To add interest he reversed the color scheme leaving the diamonds neutral while adding color to the petals {the negative space}.

The result is a simple, mod'ishly feminine panel that happily fills a large, empty wall and complements the quilt beautifully. I love how the once neutral room is now pleasantly sprinkled with color... kind of reminds me of a cupcake!