Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bounty


{Pop gives an impromptu lesson on Confederate naval history}

We enjoyed celebrating "the Fourth" this past weekend with a bounty of family and friends. It was our first out-of-town, overnight excursion with Baby and she did us proud {although I am exhausted}. The boy-cousins ran wild, the table was full of food, laughter, and fellowship, and the babies were dutifully passed around, cuddled in loving arms.

**********

Over the weekend I enjoyed re-reading Lois Lowry's Newberry award winning book Number the Stars. As my mind filled with descriptions of Nazi occupied Denmark I became more keenly aware of the freedoms we enjoy today. I'm filled afresh with gratitude for God's bounty of blessings and grace upon our nation.


Today, as one cleans up firecracker litter strewn across the lawn the day after, I sported my ponytail and made busy unpacking suitcases and attending to laundry. Some friends delivered a box of fresh bounty from their garden which became tonight's dinner. Summer, I do believe, has reached its peak.