Friday, August 31, 2007

A family favorite

Years ago my mom clipped a recipe from our local newspaper titled Three-Cheese Enchiladas. She fixed it for our family and they were an instant hit. We ate those enchiladas often; it is definitely a favorite meal from my childhood.

When I married I left home with my own copy of that beloved and tasty recipe. The professor loved it, as well, the first time I made it for him. And so cheese enchiladas have become a family favorite. Over the years I've made that recipe my own, but those enchiladas still taste as yummy as they did when I was a child.

Cheese Enchiladas

What you will need:
3 cups of shredded cheese (I usually buy a 4 cup bag of Mexican shredded cheese.)
4 oz. of cream cheese (I use low-fat.)
1 cup of salsa, bottled or homemade
1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped bell pepper; green, red, or even a little japaleno is fine (or skip it if you don't care for peppers)
1/2 cup sliced green onion, or white or yellow onion (whatever you have on hand!)
1 tsp. cumin
8 soft taco sized flour tortillas

Saute until tender:
your chopped onions and peppers, then let them cool

Combine:
2 cups of shredded cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup salsa
1 tsp. cumin

Stir in the cooled onion and pepper mixture.

Spoon 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture into each tortilla, roll, and place seam side down in a 13x9-inch greased baking dish. Spoon remaining 3/4 cup salsa on top and cover with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Baked, covered, at 300 for 30 minutes.
Serve with fresh salsa, homemade guacamole, tortilla chips, and a nice cool salad. You will have a well fed and happy crew.

For variety I've also added fresh spinach, black beans, pinto beans, grilled chicken or steak, or seasoned ground beef or turkey to this base recipe.