Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Another embroidery project


I finished my second little embroidery project this past weekend. This one was purely for practice which is a relief considering I'm not at all pleased with how it turned out! However, I did figure out some things that I think will help me with future projects.

This time I chose a gently used blue and white checked baby onesie. My pattern inspiration, a teddy bear, came from one of Boo's books, How to Draw Animals. As with the overalls I sketched the design on the material and then used my sketch lines as the guide for my stitching. It was a difficult project, mainly because of the material that I chose, but it was good practice.

What I learned:
- believe what the books say, t-shirt material is a nightmare on which to hand embroider
- if you insist on embroidering on t-shirt material use some sturdy backer paper and a hoop
- a smaller needle would've been helpful
- consider dividing the strands of your embroidery floss when using flimsy material

A closer look.