Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Child's Tea Towel Apron

Last Thursday I was scrambling to come up with a fun and meaningful {yet inexpensive} birthday party gift for one of Boo's classmates, the sweet little girl who sits next to him. No footballs or Hot Wheels cars would do this time... a girly gift, what fun for me!

Necessity proved, once again, to be the mother of invention, or, at the very least, creativity and frugality. I used a brand new, colorful tea towel and some pretty ribbon, all of which I had on hand, to make a simple child sized apron. We paired it with a wooden spoon. The birthday girl {and her mother} were delighted.

I started by folding the towel in half, then I "seamed" all the edges together with my trusty iron-on adhesive {what would I do without that stuff?}. Next, to create a sash I trimmed it with ribbon across the top {the folded edge}. Easy... very easy. Really, it's just a variation of my no-sew pillowcase apron.

Here's the cost breakdown:
  • 1 tea towel purchased in the clearance cart at Kroger -- $.50
  • ribbon and iron-on adhesive from my stockpile -- pennies
  • 1 new wooden spoon purchased at Kroger -- $.67
Yields one cute little apron for a very sweet friend. Total cost, $1.17.